lilly blog header REVISED

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why we never order pizza out anymore.....


This is how it looked before it went into the oven, but sadly I cannot show you the just out of the oven photo because there isn't one............. it went straight from the oven to our mouths!
This is super simple and once you make pizza this way it will be hard to go back.
The Dough
2 cups flour
1 tsp.salt
1 pkg.yeast
2 tbsp.oil (olive or canola)
1 cup very hot water
1/2 - 1 cup flour

Mix the first 5 ingredients and stir together. Add 1/2 - 1 cup of flour until it is the right consistency to knead.
Knead for just a couple of minutes.
Place dough into well greased (olive or canola oil) bowl.
Cover with towel and wait about 1 hour.

Pizza stones are essential. Mine came from Pampered Chef and I have been using them for years and you really can't make good pizza without them.

One batch makes about five individual pizzas and I just stretch them out into a kind of oval shape.
Each person can have their pizza exactly as they want it.
Kids love this.
I skip the sauce and just use olive oil. Then cheese. I find a combination of mozzarella, provolone and just a tiny bit of parmesan or cheddar work best. If you go with just two cheeses stick with mozzarella and provolone. I cover mine with finely chopped veggies. My favorite combo is broccoli, red onion, garlic, orange pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes. The guys like to add pepperoni (of course).
Imagination is key.
 Create any combination that you can think of and please let me know!
We never order pizza anymore and I love it.
We try to eat as organic as much as we can.
I use organic flour, olive oil and vegetables.
The pepperoni? Not so much.
I love knowing that my family gets to eat one of their favorite foods and it is so healthy.
In the summer we cook them on a grate over an open fire.
Scott said the best thing this summer while building the fire at the new house as I prepared the dough.
He said:
 "It must be so good for us to eat food cooked over wood that came from the land that our home sits on."
I thought that was a great way to think of it and I am
 pretty sure it bumps
the nutritional level up at least a kajillion times.
At least.

No comments:

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips